Friday, July 1, 2011

A Week Coming to a Close

Over the last two days I have spent my time working in the Pharmacy department.  Although it can be a little tedious at times, it's definitely the area to be in if you want to stay busy all 6 hours.  I learned a lot about different medications and when they are prescribed.  It was the first time that I felt like I was actually really helping them, instead of just observing.  It was nice to see them benefiting from my work instead of me being the one who gains the most knowledge.  They were so appreciative of my help and continually told me how much it made their jobs easier.  Pharmacies here are a lot different than pharmacies in the states.  Most of the pills are handed out in wrapped pieces of paper with the name of the medicine handwritten on it.  We fold up pills in scrap paper and that's usually the way the patients have to handle them.  If there are more than 10 pills, they will put them in a little baggie, but that's rare.  It's a lot different since we get our medication with descriptive instructions, a full list of possible side effects, and detailed ingredients.  They only get a piece of paper and a few words to tell them what to do.  VERY DIFFERENT.
Tonight we are headed to an "American" fast food restaurant and we are all excited for the possibility of eating something other than rice!  We have high hopes for this place so it better not disappoint us! Other than that we have been dodging the rain and preparing for the blood drive tomorrow.  We have been asked to hand out water and sodas to donors so it should be a long day in the heat.  After, we'll get to celebrate and cool off with Ana's cooking for her daughter Fatou's 9th grade graduation.  I am looking forward to games, dancing, and great food for Saturday and a relaxing day on a sandy beach on Sunday! Wishing everyone a weekend as great as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment