Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hands on Care

I have spent the week in the Hands On Care, HIV unit, rotation.  Monday I enjoyed getting to sit in on some counseling sessions for patients who are getting ready to start their ARV medications.  They are required to meet with a "counselor" (nurse) 3 times prior to beginning, and they must bring in a "supporter" for at least one session so they are notified that the patient is HIV positive.  I had some difficulty watching the reactions of some of the patients since a few broke down into tears.  One woman got upset telling us that her husband was divorcing her because of "the sickness". (they rarely ever say the words HIV or AIDS. It's always "the sickness")
The second part of the day was a lot better! I got to help with antenatal visits.  They taught me to do palpitations where I could feel for the baby's head and back, listen to the fetal heartbeat, and even date pregnancies.  I was so excited the first time I actually heard the heartbeat! The mom just laughed at me! I really enjoyed getting to perform them on my own and then have him do them and compare our results.  It was definitely a more rewarding and uplifting way to end the day.
Tuesday was extremely slow.  I spent half of the day working with the home based care unit in HOC.  They provide infant formula and milk powder to children with HIV, orphans, and children with HIV positive parents.  It was interesting for a while, but wasn't very busy at all. After work we went to the post office since several of our group members are getting boxes of American snacks! I cooked at Yandey's house for dinner.  We made spaghetti with an onion sauce and potatoes- the most American meal we eat.  I always love spending time over there with all of the women.  They get a kick out of watching us toubabs attempt to cook like they do.  Yandey tied a wrap skirt around me yesterday and patted my butt saying she liked my "loppy".  It seems to be a reoccurring theme here for Stephanie and I.  The women love to tell us how we have the "African style loppy"- so funny.
Wednesday I worked in the dispensary department of the HOC unit.  I learned a lot about ARV medications and how they are distributed.  I enjoyed spending the day in an air conditioned unit and was really busy the whole day.  By the end, I was reading and putting together all of the prescriptions while she dictated to the patients how to take them and handed them out.  It's always rewarding to feel like the unit has really benefited from my time there.  After work we ran some errands in the market and prayed for electricity.  We didn't get it.  It was the 4th night in a row that we have had to stay up waiting on current because it's too hot in our rooms otherwise.  Thankfully, Chad, Steph, Haley, and I have started playing this card game Stephanie taught us called Canasta and now we're hooked.  It's a partner game and tons of fun! I can't wait to teach everyone when I get back!
Today was another extremely boring day at the health center. It seems like that's been happening a lot lately.  Tomorrow is a national holiday so everyone is off work and apparently today got included in the not working category.  We are spending the day in Banjul tomorrow participating in the festivities and taking in the sights.  Saturday we are looking forward to another beach day.  We are going to head to Senegambia and spend the evening there.  Sunday is our favorite midwife Maimouna's wedding! I cannot wait to see how a Gambian wedding is and see her get married.  I am so excited!
Can't believe I'll be home in 19 days!

Love you all so much!
-Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment