Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ready to get there!

So today was our last day of orientation and it's been a busy/information filled couple of days! I have learned more about what we're going to be doing. We are going to be rotating shifts at Brikama Health Center (BHC) in Brikama, Gambia. Some of these shifts will include the overnight shift (which will undoubtedly be interesting). We will also be traveling with BHC's mobile unit to remote villages to provide home health care. The hospital serves around 20,000 so I don't imagine we will ever find ourselves sitting around on the job.
The part of the trip I am probably most anxious about is the living conditions and food! Alieu (a native Gambian and OCA employee) was telling us about some of the dishes today. One sounded like rice stir fry but the other is a peanut butter soup! Sounds interesting to say the least! He said it's always a favorite among crossroaders so maybe I'll be cooking it when I get back! The living condition description is still pretty vague. We are staying in a "lodge" near the hospital, but who knows what lodge in Gambia means. We have decided the theme to this trip is "we'll see" because it seems like that is all we say when talking about what to expect!
We are spending our last night of orientation touring NYC so I am looking forward to sightseeing a little tonight! It has been a great experience getting to know all of the other crossroaders that are going on the various trips! It's been fun for all of us to get excited together! For now, I am Anxiously awaiting tomorrow morning at 5:45! I cannot wait to see how this adventure will change my life!

Looking forward to keeping you all updated!
Min tian jian! (goodbye for now in mandinka)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you will be busy but also learning alot. Sorry to hear about your bag, but at least it wasn't lost! I'll keep my fingers crossed that "lodge" means the same as Ritz Carlton! Love, Uncle Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your nite in NYC! B4 you leave eat some pizza, chicken fingers, cotton candy, tootsie rolls, red velvet cake :-). We are excited about what you will learn and see on your adventure. And we look forward to reading your blog updates. Travel Safely. LOVE YOU, Aunt Maribeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Aunt Maribeth, stock up on those yummies while you can! Can't wait to try some peanut butter soup when you return to the states. Ethan had a tootsie roll today and reminded me that "they're auntie's favorite." I know, buddy, I know. Wish you were here to devour them with him. We love you so much and will be praying for you continuously throughout your trip. Here's to hoping for some opportunities to blog! We love, love, love you!

    ReplyDelete