Thursday, August 4, 2011

The first of many lasts

Well Friday was our last day at work at the health center and it was a pretty great way to end it! I spent most of the morning taking pictures and saying all my goodbyes to friends in the various units.  It felt like the last day of high school or something- we were all exchanging emails and facebook names and taking pictures together. Later in the afternoon we all ventured over to maternity since we were closest with the midwives in that unit.  All summer I have been saying I wanted to see twins born and Stephanie has been wanting to see a breech vaginal birth.  Well Friday we got 2 in 1.  It was AWESOME.  The first baby was breeched so she came out butt first.  Every time I see a birth I'm totally amazed, but this one was even more incredible.  In the US a breeched baby is immediately taken out in a c-section, but here they are vaginally delivered, so it was something I will most likely never get to see again.  I felt so bad for the mother! She looked like she was in an incredible amount of pain. After quite a long while of pushing, the baby was finally born but wasn't breathing.  It seemed like we all stopped breathing along with her. We resuscitated her for about 20 minutes and she finally started breathing! It was so exciting! We couldn't put her on oxygen until the current came on about 15 minutes later, but as soon as she was put on that she started improving a lot more.  We were all smitten with these babies! The second one was head first, thankfully, and came out a lot easier. Although, she was having difficulty breathing as well.  They shared the oxygen back and forth and both continued to improve as time went on.  The family was overjoyed since they didn't even know they were having twins and both of their previous babies had passed away.  It was such a wonderful way to end our time in the hospital.  We were thrilled to be a part of something so special and I will definitely never forget it!
When the work day was finished, we had put together a little party to say thank you to all of the health center employees.  It was so much fun! We had lots of music and dancing! Even the Cuban doctors brought out some Cuban music and showed us up with their moves.  We all jammed out to some tu-pac as well. Towards the end of the party, they brought us all together and had prepared a couple short speeches for us.  It totally caught me off guard and I was a mess.  They had someone from each department talk about how much they appreciated our coming and how much we had affected them.  It was such a great feeling to know they enjoyed us being there just as much as we did.  It's hard to put into words the type of relationships I have formed with these people and every time we have to say goodbye to someone else, it seems even harder. 
We kicked off vacation week by heading to Senegambia again to see what Duplex had to offer on a Friday night.  This time Haley and I brought our own whiskey! The club was so much fun! They a lot more American music and we had a blast!
I know I'm so behind on blogging but I promise to write about the beginning of vacation week soon!
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment